What we do...
At Dangerous Prototypes we have a team of amazing PCB designers. We crank out a lot of boards publicly
and privately, but even we can't keep these hungry routing addicts busy all the time. Now we're lending our routing stills to you for your open hardware project.
If you have an open hardware project and would like help routing the PCB, we're here to help:
- A completed schematic in KiCAD or Eagle that needs a PCB
- A stack of Arduino shields and a circuit drawing that need a schematic and integrated PCB
- A hand drawing that would look great in KiCAD or Eagle file
- A stack of component footprints you don't want to build yourself
You can take a look at our previous designs at Dangerous Prototypes. The same routers will work on your PCBs.
All designs are hand routed, never autorouted.
We aim to give you clear and attentive service with tons of
updates so you always know what's happening with your order. Our focus is open hardware designs.
We only route the PCB. Any design flaws in the circuit are beyond our control. We make every effort to route perfect PCBs,
but it's your responsibility to check over the final board before manufacturing it. In cases where we mess up really bad, we'll
probably fix the design and buy a new set of PCBs.
What we don't do...
We are able to route digital designs for open hardware projects. There are many things we don't want to do:
- Engineering or design. We just route PCBs, you have to prove the circuit
- RF or complicated analogue design (impedance balancing, etc)
- More than 2 layers/10x8CM in Eagle because so few can edit the files (2+ is fine in KiCAD)
- Closed hardware projects
Use the order form to find our current price, generally $35 per hour with a 3 hour minimum.
- Orders may contain multiple projects, but you may not roll over hours for future/additional projects
- An extreme excess of hours may be refunded at our discretion
- 3 hours minimum, no exceptions. It takes a while to setup for a new project
To help estimate time for your project we'll post a gallery of examples with total times soon. Please stay tuned.
If your project takes longer than the purchased time, you have the option to accept your files as-is or purchase additional time.
What to submit
You can submit just about anything and we'll try to turn it into a clean circuit layout or PCB in Eagle or KiCAD.
Please upload everything in a .zip archive when you order. Please include a readme.txt/pdf/png/gif/jpg explaining any
design constraints such as connector and component locations.
Formats we accept
We'll accept a circuit design or PCB in any format we can read, namely:
- Circuit drawings and instructions in .txt/.pdf/.png/.jpg/.gif/.odt/.doc
- Circuit designs in KiCAD or Eagle
- Part dimensions for a footprint in .pdf/.tiff/etc
We only route circuit boards in Eagle and KiCAD.
No login policy!
When ordering you may enter a password to quickly load your address on
future orders (works on all the Dirty sites). To keep things cheap and sleazy, there's no member area,
login, or password reset on this site. If you forget your password just
enter your address in the order form during your next order and set a new password.
Where is my damn design?
Depending on backlog, orders are usually routed in 2-7 days.
You receive an email update every time the status of your project changes.
You may pay us to make a pesky footprint for some bizarre part, but we will release it to a Creative Commons 0 licensed
public part library so everyone can benefit from it.
- Order received - We received your files and payment
- Order checked - We had a look at your files and will take on the job
- Circuit layout - We're building a schematic from our layout or design
- PCB routing - We're routing your PCB
- Completed - Layout is completed, we've sent your files
- Need feedback - We have a question that needs your input before we continue
- Problem - The manufacturer reported a problem.
Please see note, correct problems, and send boards
- Delete - This order was cancelled or deleted,
no payment received or payment refunded
You'll receive an email every time your order is updated. You can also
check your order status any time using the link in the confirmation email,
or using the status page.
Payment is by PayPal Express Checkout. You may use your PayPal account or a
Is my design safe?
We're only here to work on ALREADY open source/open hardware PCBs. If this is a concern PLEASE FIND ANOTHER SUPPLIER.
We intend to route PCBs for open hardware enthusiasts who WANT their designs used and propagated. That said, we will
never personally use your design without permission.
This site uses the following open source tools: